Friday, October 15, 2010

Mushroom Maki

So in the last post I mentioned that I had harvested my BTTR oyster mushrooms! They were so heavy I just couldn't believe it. I did make the spinach salad that we all loved, even Alina ate a few bites! I knew I couldn't just make a salad and expect a 2 year old to have that for dinner so I made 2 of her favorite things: Miso soup with peas, seaweed and tofu. And mushroom sushi ("shu-shi" as Alina likes to call it) rolls.
I know most people would think, after a long day at work how would you have the time to make all that? Really, sushi rolls are so quick and easy. You can put literally anything in them. You just have to have time to cook some rice (about 20 mins). Luckily Tom helped me with the rice. He was home before me this time so I asked him to put the rice in the cooker. Alina loves purple rice (
see this post)... OK so do I! So I asked Tom to throw in a little of the black rice grains just to color the rest of the rice. Well he took that as "throw in a hand full of black rice!" So we had some really dark purple rice this time. Which was fine! It came out to a nice deep purple color. I don't think there's much nutritional value to adding a little black rice to your white rice but it sure does look pretty!




Here is what you will need for seasoning your own sushi rice:
  • 2 cups cooked sushi rice
  • 1 teaspoon of black rice to make it purple (optional)
Cook the rice in a rice cooker using just under the amount of water for 2 cups of rice.
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
Here is a video from YouTube that shows the process well. FWD to about 7:30 in the video to get straight to the rice. For this roll I used only a few ingredients:
  • Nori sheets
  • Sushi rice
  • Sesame seeds
  • BTTR oyster mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and Herbes de Provence
  • Avocado
  • Baby spinach
Wet your hands with some water. If you like, put a little salt in the water. Not only does it help flavor-wise but it also kills residual bacteria on your hands (or so they say!). Get a good hand full of rice and spread it on your nori sheet. Its best to start with a little too much then take some off as needed. Leave a little less than 1 inch room on each end of the nori. I know, I am a goof-ball... I forgot to put the mat under my nori. Oh well!

A few tips here: Put the rice on the "rough" side of the nori. Lay the nori in front of you, you will see lines. Make sure they are horizontal (side to side) rather than up and down. This will help when rolling. If you do it the other way... no big deal! Get everything ready, slice your avocado, mushrooms, have a little pile of spinach, bowl of water, knife, towel... etc. before you start rolling. If you don't have a sharp knife, get one! Layer your ingredients and roll.

You will make a few funny looking rolls at first but trust me, you will get it. Think: rolling a burrito. Tuck it in! That's all. Give one firm press and it should all stick together.


Wet the blade of your knife and slice quickly while saying "HAI!"
Or... not. Either way, it will taste good.

If you feel timid about rolling sushi, go to your best sushi restaurant and sit at the bar. Watch them and learn! I sure am glad Alina enjoys these things. One of these days I will try and catch Tom enjoying "healthy" stuff too!

I just wish I could get her to like avocado! She spotted it first thing.


Some other things to add to these rolls: Shrimp, scallops, dried cranberries, hemp seeds, chia seeds, toasted walnuts, steak... but not all at once! You can't go wrong. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! :)

    -Nikhil

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Christina! You must be a great cook. I am definitely going to try this when my kit starts to blossom. I just received mine today and can't wait to harvest! Thanks!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks Shelley! I only post the good stuff! lol...
    You will LOVE those mushrooms. I couldnt believe how heavy they are! My 1st kit is now growing 2 crops at once! I am contemplating what shroomy-goodness I want to make next! maybe just a simple mushroom quinoa risotto... not sure yet though!
    Let me know what you end up making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shelley:
    Has your kit started yet? If it hasn't, dont loose hope! As Nikhil (of BTTR) says to me, "just keep misting!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I didn't know I could use a rice besides white rice on maki. I also love that it's healthy.

    ReplyDelete